Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Affluent Temptations

Some Bible passages just seem to stick with you! Whether it reminds you of a special time in your life or important lesson in life, certain verses just become favourites. Proverbs 30-7-9 is one of mine:

"Two things I ask of you, O Lord; 
do not refuse me before I die: 
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; 
give me neither poverty nor riches, 
but give me only my daily bread. 
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?'
Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."


I love the honesty of Agur (the author). He was so in-touch with himself that he knew how he might react given the situations he imagines. And he was so in-touch with God that he could be blunt and expecting in his prayer.


But beyond the lesson of personal honesty is a lesson of temptation...the temptation of greed! As I read these words again I couldn't help but think that many of my temptations come because I have too much not too little. Through these verses I am reminded that, compared to most of the world, I have too much and am in danger of saying "Who is the Lord?"

By God's grace, may it never be!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment