Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dear God...

"Dear God, I'm trying hard to reach you.
Dear God, I see your face in all I do.
Sometimes, it's so hard to believe it.
But God, I know you have your reasons.

These words, which make up the introduction and chorus to the song 'Dear God 2.0' by The Roots feat. Monsters of Folk, hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard them for the first time last week.  I have felt this way before.  I have felt frustrated and agitated and have been inquisitive like this before.  I have prayed prayers like this.


The Roots have been one of the most influential and innovative secular hip hop groups to hit the music scene in the last 25 years.  It amazes and encourages me that a group of musicians who are at the top of the music charts are including deep thoughts like this in their message.  So often do artists rely on catchy yet meaningless words to catch the ears of listeners.  Here, however, The Roots are reflecting on thoughts and asking questions that have struck a chord with the feelings I am certain many Christians have had.  I know I have.

"Be agitated and do not sin;
Ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.
Offer right sacrifices and put your trust in the Lord."
- Psalms 4:4-5 (ESV)

Let us be encouraged by these words when we are frustrated and searching.  Rest in our Creator's promise, because even when we feel this way He will show up in places we least expect him to...like in the chorus of a hip hop track!

Grace & Peace,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment