Thursday, August 26, 2010

Only God Can Judge Me

Have you heard this term before?  Recently this saying has become very popular in many non-Christian subcultures.  I have seen it spray painted on walls, printed on t-shirts, and most recently tattooed across the chest of one of the youth I work with.  Even though I have not yet had the chance to talk with this teen about the reasoning behind this decision, I can't help but think through some questions as to why this saying has become so popular.

Is it a way of justifying actions?  Is it a way of doing what I want, the way I want, when I want?  Is it just a saying?  Does it even have any meaning to the people who are saying it?  Is it just a fad that will fade with time unlike this young man's tattoo?

To be honest with you, I don't know the reasoning behind the sudden popularity of this saying.  I do know that Jesus is truth and that His teaching in Matthew 7 is something we should not take lightly.  When I saw this tattoo my first reaction was to judge, and I don't know, maybe you're judging right now too.

I think that before we do anything else we need to pray.  Pray for forgiveness so that we will not be hypocrites and for this generation that tends to believe that their own thoughts and actions are more important than their Creator's.

Grace & Peace,

Dave

2 comments:

  1. very thought provoking entry Dave - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. True...People use it as a way to escape the "judgement" or usually the criticism of others. The real question is: What type of judgement do they expect from God, if they are unwilling to accept it from humans?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment