Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Deep Change!

I've done a lot of reading lately on leadership and change.  The kinds of change I been thinking about are things like change of heart, strategy and ministry.

As I age (notice I didn't say "old") the less I like change. Actually, that's not true. I still like change...the problem is loss: the loss I feel when something is no longer the same. I like my old ways so changing them means losing something I like!

On the other hand, what I like less is the slow death lack of change brings. Let's face it, growth demands and assumes change! So here's what I'm thinking; what I really want is deep change (the name of a really good business book by the way). What I want is change in me that is rooted in a deep moral core that never needs to change--a core that is informed and guided by truth that transcends my own human wisdom. I wonder if this is part of what Proverbs 21:1 means when it says, "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will."?

What do you think?  Post a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Like a moth to light, I am drawn to the statement "change ... that is rooted in a deep moral core that never needs to change - a core that is informed and guided by truth that transcends ... human wisdom" (slightly tweaked to render as a generalization).

    It is a statement that feels suggestive of a "riddle": "What is something that does not change yet changes that which touches it?"

    The meaning being expressed, I believe, is that for one to know how to correctly deal with the variables of reality, there must first be an abiding constant to inform them (reference point). Isn't this exactly what the Book of Ecclesiastes is all about where the writer determines that "everything is meaningless" (12:8)unless there is a higher frame of reference and rightly concludes: "Fear God and keep his commandments for this is the whole duty of man"? (12:13)

    I offer this complementary insight in return: "We can only grasp the winds of change when we are tied to the mast of the permanent things." (R.C. Sproul Jr.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Paul, you caught my drift well! Another related saying is "give me a place to stand and I can change the world." It's only a solid unchanging base that allows positive change in a forward direction. Thanks for your insights on Ecclesiastes too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment