Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Is it the destination or the journey that matters?

Amy and I have been inspired by Pastor Tom's recent sermon series in Joshua to begin reading the Biblical account of Israel's journey out of Egypt toward the Promised Land from the beginning (see Exodus).  Many interesting themes have emerged but last night we found ourselves wondering why God didn't do the whole thing differently.  Could He not have fast tracked the experience?  Could He not have just arranged to have Israel walk out of Egypt hand in hand with their tormentors?  Could He not have prevented Israel from traveling into areas without food or water or where they would face war?  It seems so...but He didn't.

Why?

We noticed that within the actual narrative we are provided with an answer.  While speaking to Moses at Mount Sinai God instructs him to say to Israel:

"'You yourselves (Israel) have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.  Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.'" (Ex. 19:3-6)

Here's the big idea.  God led Israel in these ways up until this point (and subsequently) in order to fashion them into people that would reflect the character and glory of God Himself.

Could it be then that God  is actually more concerned about my journey, your journey, our journey as a local church with Him - then our actual destination so long as in the end we are closer to being like Him?

If so, perhaps this should affect the things we worry about, divide over, even pursue...

What do you think?

Pastor Gary

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment