Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A “Real Man”

Being a father of two very young, very impressionable and I would have to say very cute little girls I have been reflecting lately about what it means to be a “man."  At the moment, I’m the only man in our house excluding Seamus our Wheaton Terrier so I’m sure you can appreciate why I’m becoming increasingly concerned about getting this more right than wrong.  Where do you go for an accurate picture of a “man?”

Well, I started by thinking about the men who have been in my life up to this point and those presently.  I then considered men that history and our present day culture would hold out as examples (see my favourite lately - the Old Spice Guy).  Finally, I allowed myself the freedom to create my own image of a “real man.”  More often than not I found myself being disappointed and this process left me with more questions than answers so I turned to the only place I know that gives me clarity on the issues I face each day – God’s Word.

I had studied 1st Timothy 3, Titus 1, and Galatians 5 before but more as an exercise than with a real desire for answers.  As I read these passages of Scripture and mediated on them I rediscovered a picture of a “real man.”  And I found my heart yearning to be that man.  I have so far to go...but at least I have a better sense of where I should be going. Thankfully the Holy Spirit wants me to be a “real man” even more than I do in my best moments.  I need Him to.

Can you relate?  What are your thoughts on this?

Pastor Gary

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment