Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Clothing and Evangelism?

Golf Anyone?
I was walking my dog Seamus the other day and a man stopped me to ask for directions to a downtown golf driving range.  I noticed that there were a number of people that he passed by that he could have stopped to ask before he got to me but he didn't.  After thinking about it for a bit I figured out why he chose me in particular.  I think that he assumed I was a golfer...I was wearing plaid shorts and a 'poor boy' hat at the time.  

What I was wearing created an opportunity for conversation with a complete stranger.  

This brief interaction reminded me of something the Apostle Paul wrote in Colossians 3:12-14.
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Our clothing communicates something about who we are in a physical and spiritual sense.  When we clothe ourselves with these virtues mentioned by the Apostle Paul we are saying that we are God's chosen people.  

No doubt that by asking the Holy Spirit to empower us to dress this way each day conversation opportunities with others are are bound to happen.  People whom God is calling to Himself will recognize you as someone they can approach to ask for directions.

Can you relate?  Have this ever happened to you?   

Pastor Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment